However today I want to share "tambuli" recipe prepared from leaves of Ivy gourd plant / "Tonde balli". Here we are using tender leaves (at the end of a branch) from plant that blossom during rainy season.
This is a very simple dish that scores high on nutritional values.
10 tender leaves of Ivy gourd plant (Tonde kudi)
3 tbs freshly grated coconut
1 tsp jeera
4-5 curry leaves
2 cups of Butter milk
1 tsp ghee
1 tsp mustard
3-5 curry leaves
1 pinch hing powder
- Chop the leaves into small pieces
- Frey pepper in ghee in a pan. Add jeera for the same and fry for addition 1 min.
- Now add copped leaves along with curry leaves into pan and fry it for about 2-3 mins.
- Add grated coconut at the end and stir it for 1 min.
- Let it the mixture cool (keeping lids closed). Grind this mixture into fine paste with little water.
- Now add curd or butter milk to complete "tambuli"
- I prefer having "tambuli" without tadka. However for those who prefer tadka could make one using mustard, curry leaves and pinch of hing in quantity mentioned above.
- At #3 is essential to give pleasant aroma for the dish
- Replacing pepper with green chillies or red chillies will give a different flavor and taste to same dish
- Curd could be used in place of butter milk.
- Green leaves such as
Doddapatre/ Brahmi leaves/ Kaaki Soppu / Spinach could be used instead of "tonde soppu".
It is best served with hot rice. It has a soothing effect perticularly in summer.